Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Donna - 13.1 miles of strength and encouragement

February 23rd, 2014 was another day of accomplishments in my life: I completed my first ever half marathon in 2:38. Here's what I posted on Facebook: "So proud to finish the Donna Half Marathon with Crystal Kelly and Mitzi Woods - two amazing women who pushed through a PR today. Thank you to Allison Carter for encouraging me throughout my journey and especially at mile 9. And to the best trainer Shannon Colavecchio for the support and encouragement, especially as she ran me in that last mile when I was ready to quit. But I didn't. I'm so excited for my accomplishment today."


I couldn't believe it. Me, a half marathon finisher. But there I was, albeit hurting, with a medal around my neck. Mitzi and Crystal will attest that I was so scared of jinxing myself that I wouldn't touch anything with a 13.1 or finisher on it for fear of actually not finishing the race. But I did. Let me back up.

On Friday Mitzi, Crystal and myself set out for Jacksonville, Starbucks in hand, to hit the Donna Expo and pick up our packets. We met the race founder, Donna Deegan, a four-time breast cancer survivor (pictured below).


We picked up our race day packets, visited the vendors, signed these amazing message boards which would be found along the beach on race day, and took a ton of pictures (obvi!).  


We spent the day reflecting on what was to come, and had a great time shopping and having dinner with badass babe Sarah who had just moved to Jacksonville. The next day was more of the same with the rest of the badass crew - Shannon and Allison - heading to Jacksonville. Dinner with the girls that night was fun, FULL of sharing (ok I admit, probably too much sharing), and preparing for race day the next morning.


4:30 am came too early Sunday morning after a restless night of anticipation and worry that I wouldn't finish. Had I trained right? Had I trained enough? Would my body give out after 9 miles, 10 miles? Would I let myself down and those around me? I fought the self doubt and the nerves the next morning as Crystal and I waited in our corral for the race to start. By the time the race started I was a ball of energy and nerves, and I cried the first of many times as we crossed the start line.

I cried when I saw a woman running next to me who had a survivor bib on. I cried when I saw a man running in front of me who was running for his wife, who lost her battle with breast cancer. I cried when I hit the beach - the half way point in the race, and I cried again when I left the beach and felt my knee give a little twinge of pain. And I burst into tears when at mile 11 I thought I couldn't go any further due to a nasty blister on my left foot and my IT band pulling something terrible in my knee. But then wouldn't you know it? Sarah Bareilles "Brave" came on, and I knew I could make it up that last hill, over the bridge and across the finish line. And with Allison cheering me on via text (yes via text - I needed it!), Shannon running me in the last mile of the race, and Mitzi waiting across the finish line, I completed my first half marathon. And damn did it feel good. 

To the badass babes - I can't thank you enough for all that you do on a daily basis. You make my life more enjoyable; you laugh with me, you cry with me, you encourage me to do better, be better, live better, and I humbly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. 

  

4 comments: