Thursday, March 6, 2014

My journey began - July 29, 2013

On July 29, 2013 I posted this to Facebook: "today is day 1 of an 8 week boot camp challenge. So be prepared to either cheer me on or hide my feed for the next 8 weeks because I will be one of those people who posts about my workouts and progress. You have been warned."

I was excited and yet EXTREEMLY nervous and apprehensive about the journey I was beginning. I was always someone who worked out so that I could eat and drink what I wanted. But after I hit age 30, a busy life and putting others needs before my own began to take a toll on my body. The clothes in my closet slowly began to fit a little less comfortable and then not at all. Sure I exercised, I tried to eat healthy, but it slowly added up. By 34 I was over weight, out of shape, and completely and utterly unhappy with what I had done to myself. And I needed a change.

July 29th, 2013 I started an 8 week program called Tabata Bootcamp, taught by Shannon Colavecchio. The program was high intensity interval training three days a week, plus 6 minutes of homework everyday, and proper nutritional eating - and being held accountable for all of it. I was so discouraged that first day when I stepped on the scale and saw 215 lbs. And it sickened me to see my stats: 40 inch waist and 50 inch hip. The first week was tough and I questioned whether I would be able to stick with it, both mentally and physically. I wanted to give up. I especially wanted to give up two weeks later when we weighed in again, and I saw one pound, one measly, stinking little pound had been dropped in the hardest two weeks of my life to date. But I didn't. I found encouragement from my awesome trainer. I found encouragement from two amazing women - Mitzi and Allison who pushed me to do better, be better. I found encouragement from those in the class who were fighting the same battles. I found encouragement from my friends on facebook who privately and publicly sent me messages to keep going. And I slowly found encouragement from within myself. And so I kept going.

On August 27th, 2013 I posted this on Facebook: "Its Day 30 of my 60 day bootcamp challenge. I'm losing pounds and inches, back to running with enjoyment and stronger in both mind and body. Can't wait to see what Day 60 brings!"

On September 30th, 2013 I posted this: "Day 64: 8 weeks of bootcamp is in the bag. As a result, 11 lbs and 7 inches overall are gone in just 8 weeks. I'm stronger both physically and mentally, can run further and faster, and I have muscles in places I didn't know could exist. It's been a great experience and thank you all for rooting me on. I start a new 8 week bootcamp Oct. 14th and I can't wait to see what my results will be at the end of that 8 weeks as well!"



And on January 13th, 2014 I weighed in and cried, when I saw I was down 30 lbs and more than 13 inches over all. but more importantly, I had found the confidence in myself that I knew was buried deep down. 



On July 29, 2013 I began a journey - a journey to regain a life that makes me happy. I hope you'll stay with me on this journey - one step at a time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment