Thursday, March 6, 2014

Running the Hot Chocolate 15k

Can you say FREEEZZZZIIIINNNGGG? That's what it was on January 27th, 2014 when I ran the first 15k of my life: The Hot Chocolate 15k in Atlanta, GA with some amazing ladies - and finished in a pretty decent time of 1:38.


Here's what I posted later that morning after I had showered and regained some of the feeling in my frozen limbs: "First race of 2014 finished. I'm not going to lie, I cried crossing that finish line. Thank you everyone who sent encouraging messages before and after the race - they meant so much to me! There were several times (in the 27 degree weather) I questioned why on earth I was running the 15k. But your encouragement, the encouragement of the badass babes who were running it with me, the great signs along the course (including two of my favorites "Where is everyone going?" and "hurry! They are running out of chocolate!") the three guys for a half mile between miles 4 and 5 who were jumping in the race, encouraging the runners on like we were the Tour de France, and finally the 20k other runners fueled me to my first finish line ever, and the first of 2014. On to the half marathon in Feb!"


These were the ladies who braved the bitter cold (ok for Florida girls, 27 degrees was bitter), the 4:30 am wake up call, the nearly 2 hours sitting in a warm suburban before race time, and crossed the finish line. Some of these ladies, like myself, had never finished 9.3 miles, and especially not on a hilly course like the one we faced in Atlanta. It was a proud day, one I would never forget, and made me think that I could run my first half marathon in four short weeks.   

No comments:

Post a Comment