Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Running through heat and fire

Its been a while since I last posted. Life, running around and running have gotten in the way. In exactly 3 days I'll be running my second half marathon ever - the Nashville Women's Running Series. To say I have nerves is silly. Of course I have nerves. I have set a goal of running this race in a sub 2:30 time. I ran the Donna half marathon in 2:38 so I think I can do this.

I think I have trained right. Sure my eating could have been better. But I have trained through the blazing heat of a Florida summer.  I have combined running short and long distances with cross training, including both cycle and TRX strength training. I have downloaded and set my playlist, which shall be epic. I've picked out my "racers uniform" (or rather Mitzi picked our uniform and I've packed it). But most importantly I have an awesome support network of friends and badass babes running this race with me. I can't wait for this race weekend to commence!

I especially can't wait for this weekend after all that I've been quietly working through in my life the past few months. I've been dealing with some health issues over the past several months, culminating in test results Monday that are both good and not so good. I won't use this as a forum to tell you all the sordid details but rather to say that these types of health issues have put so very much into perspective for me. It's made me reevaluate what I prioritize in my life; what I want and need vs. what I'm willing to put up with. It's made me think long and hard about the excuses I have created for why I can't or won't do certain things in my life. And it's made me reevaluate my friendships and relationships, prioritizing those who lift me up rather than those that put me down.

Training for this race has afforded me many quiet mornings running in the heat and dark, to think, to pray, and to contemplate my future. What Monday's test results and training for this race have given me is a renewed sense of priority and for that I am thankful.

Today the badass babes embark for NashVegas for what is sure to be another epic road trip! And I'm sure after all that we have ALL gone through these past few weeks and months, I speak for everyone when we say bring on the weekend!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment