Monday, September 29, 2014

Nashville WRS half marathon

Welp. I did it. 13.1 in 2:14:14. And I couldn't be more proud.
On Wednesday the Badass Babes loaded up a fire engine red Expedition complete with NY license plates and headed west (and then north) to the great city of Nashville. Or as we like to call it - NashVegas. After an overnight in Montgomery, AL we arrived in the great city prepared to kick off an incredible weekend. 8 hours of travel is always made more fun with epic music video making and mustache selfies of course.

We got busy touring the many sites of Nashville - the Opryland Hotel, Ryman Auditorium, Johnny Cash museum, and the Country Music Hall of Fame. We ate some amazing meals at Pub 5, Merchant's Restaurant, Puckett's Grocery & Restaurant, and The Palm, and got candy from Savannah's Candy Kitchen Nashville and the Goo Goo Shop. Shannon and I bought some boots (because duh what else do you buy in Nashville?). We saw things we'd like to forget at Coyote Ugly (#SJGR). And it wouldn't be a trip to Nashville without listening to live music at BB Kings and Tootsies and all the bars in between.



But the main reason we were there was to run a race - the Women's Running Series Nashville Half Marathon. For Shannon, Allison and Mitzi this was a repeat race to enjoy and complete. Heck, Mitzi selfied through the last few miles! For me it was a chance to beat my Donna time - 2:38 and change. And for Ashley and Erin this was their first time ever running a half marathon. We each came to Nashville with a goal and met or exceeded it. I thought of every one of them while on the race course, and their strength and determination helped me complete my race stronger than I ever thought possible.

I had serious doubts going into this race and I feared the expectations I had put on myself were not going to be attained. I had a hard goal of finishing in a sub 2:30 time, which I expected I could finish, but I really wanted to see if I could finish in sub 2:20. Mitzi paced me through mile 6, offering me encouragement and distraction through the toughest beginning miles of the course. At mile 6 she peeled off and I continued to run now looking for the other Badass Babes I knew were ahead of me as they hit the switchback and ran towards home on the opposite side of the streeet. And when I was feeling tired, there came the babes, first Shannon, then Allison and finally Erin all running strong. Once I hit the switchback I was distracted by looking for Mitzi (who wasn't but a few minutes behind me and still in front of the dreaded 2:15 pacer) and Ashley running down near the 2:45 pacer. Once I hit mile 8.5 I was cruising, and just trying to stay ahead of 2:15 man.

I remembered one of my favorite race signs "run like there's a hot guy in front of you and a creepy guy behind you" for motivation, and appreciated the sororities and the Comic Con inspired cheering sections along the route (Comic Con was in Nashville that weekend also). I was struggling through miles 10-12 as the sun was high in the sky, and by that point and my legs were getting so very tired. And I began to think of all the people at home who had offered encouragement through my training and before the race. Of those who had let me know that I inspired them to begin a new fitness regimen, to train for a race of their own or to start eating better. I thought of my friends who were crossing the finish line themselves. I prayed and talked with the big man upstairs thanking him for being able to run the race set before me (Hebrews 12:1). And I especially thought of all those who couldn't run to motivate me to the finish. But most of all, I just kept thinking about the 2:15 pacer who continued to gain on me.

Crossing that finish line and seeing the 2:15 clock, knowing that my official time would be a sub 2:15 was so incredible, that the giant boot medal was just icing on the cake. To the Badass Babes - you are an incredible and inspiring group of women who motivate me to be a better person. Mitzi the consummate race planner, Allison the motivator, Shannon the rabbit, Erin the epic photobomber, and Ashley with your infectious laugh. I am so happy to call you my friend. Thanks for an amazing weekend, and I can't wait to do it again.

2 comments: