Wednesday, April 2, 2014

By popular request: Best Crockpot Pulled Pork Recipe

I've been looking for exciting new crockpot recipes that will yield some pretty tasty dishes that I will want to eat for several days. On Sunday I made an amazing jambalaya that I've been eating for every meal and haven't gotten sick of (which I think in the world of crockpot says something).

I have been craving some non-paleo foods lately - like cheeseburgers with bread and well, cheese, pulled pork sandwiches and mac and cheese specifically. I haven't yet figured out a way to get non wheat, non dairy mac and cheese but I'm determined to figure it out! Cheeseburgers without a bun and vegan cheese is easy, but the pulled pork sandwich was on my list to recreate.

On Sunday while my jambalaya was smelling incredible, I found a terrific recipe for pulled pork and figured I'd give it a try. It turned out even better then I had imagined and who needed the bun anyways? Be prepared to allow this bad boy to rest in your fridge for a day before you make it in the crockpot though to allow for maximum flavor of the pork. The spices combined with a sweet bbq sauce make for an amazing flavor of sweet and spicy pork.


Ingredients:

3 lb pork roast - bone in is best
4 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. sea salt
2 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. group black pepper
1 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 to 1 bottle of your favorite bbq sauce - I used Organicville original bbq sauce which is gluten free

Directions:

1. mix all your dry spices together in a bowl to create a spice rub.
2. massage the dry rub all over the pork and into every space on the pork you can find.
3. wrap the entire pork in plastic wrap (or a big ziplock bag if you don't have plastic wrap) and let it marinade in the refrigerator for several hours. I let mine rest for about 24 hours.
4. unwrap the pork and place in crockpot with 1/4 cup of water. Cook on low for 8 hours. If you go with a larger pork roast give it a least another hour or two.
5. pull the entire roast out of the crock pot and discard the juice. Using two forks, remove all the bones (which should be easy since the meat should be falling off the bone) and shred the pork.
6. transfer all the pork back into the crock pot and as much bbq sauce as you want to cover the pork. I used about half a bottle. Let it warm up in the crock pot before serving.

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did tonight! Hoping (and assuming) like most crockpot meals it will be even better tomorrow for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment