Monday, December 15, 2014

Finishing the race year strong: Red Nose Run 5k

In October I completed my New Year's Determination of running 14 races in 2014. So when Shannon asked me to run the Red Nose Run Half Marathon in December, I said heck no, but I'll run a 5k instead and cheer you on to the finish of your half. Yup. Make that 15 races in 2014. (Which means next year's goal of 15 races in 2015 is totally doable).

Friday night as I laid out my last flat Stef of the race year, I got a little emotional at all that I had accomplished. And then I laughed when Mitzi sent me a message that said "Get that year end PR!" I thought no way, this course will be hilly! I had no expectations going into this race except to run the race set before me and cheer on my friends to their finish.

On Saturday morning Shannon, Diane and I got up bright and early and trekked up to Thomasville, GA where they both ran the half marathon and I ran a 5k. Diane and I had epic bib numbers: 1234 for her and 222 for me.

I planned to just coast through this race, after all it would be my bonus race for the year. But as we lined up on the course and got prepared to take off down the street, Mitzi's words came back to me and I thought you know, why not try for an end of year PR? My best 5k race to date had been 27:54 at the BFD Catfish Crawl - a perfect weather day on a flat, paved course that was made for PR'ing.

So I thought hey, I've been running a lot of distance races lately, why not try for around 27 min? Plus there were a ton of kids running this race and you know darn well I wasn't going to let THEM beat me. So we took off and I hit the first of several hills on the course. But all those training runs full of hills and my recent new love of running ramps and stadiums and cycle classes helped me power through those hills like they were speed bumps.

Another round of hills on the way back, and some self doubt crept in - could I really finish this race around 27 min? So I hunkered down, encouraged the kids around me who were starting to fade and saw the finish line. Seeing that race clock in the distance I was shocked! I knew I could do close to 25 min finish time so I willed my frozen legs to go a bit faster and crossed the finish line at 25:20. A new PR, my fastest mile ever recorded (8:10) and a 1st place finish in my age group (30-39).


Now let me tell you, shaving minutes off your half marathon time is a feat and something I was so proud of after my last half this year. But shaving minutes off your 5k time? Well that made me so proud, you have no idea. To think back on how strong I've grown in one year - I just know that 2015 has a whole new meaning in store for challenging me to be a stronger, better, faster me.

And when Shannon crossed the finish line of her half marathon at 1:38, finishing 4th place over all and the 2nd woman, and when Diane also got a PR that day and placing 3rd in her age group, well I just burst with pride for the amazing women I am so blessed to call my friends.



What a wonderful way to end the race year indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment